Friday, February 18, 2011

THE NIGHT THE SNOW BLEW

 

THE NIGHT THE SNOW BLEW

1967, Bridgton Academy, N. Bridgton, Maine

Dedicated to Mr. Freeman Whitney

Dean of Students, Lecturer of Advanced English

 

                                    A gust of wind, a cloud of snow

I walked to where I do not know

I looked around, I could not see

I wondered now where I might be.

Again I felt the screaming cold

The snow blew higher down the road

And then I felt lost as in a dream

The snow whirls higher, I wished to

scream

I’d been captured in a different

world

Of wind and snow that whirled and

whirled

And then a gust beyond compare

I felt my body in the air

I called, “Oh snow, where am I?”

“You are whirling in the sky.”

I thought that if the snow did not mind

Nor would I, and something beautiful I
     might find.

And as I went far and higher,

My body froze, my mind on fire,

I looked around to find the store

But it was not near there anymore.

I looked around to see the school,

Keeping my eyes closed (I’m no fool).

Suddenly the wind came still

A bell, a bell till I reached a hill

That rose up high above the ground,

And there before me I had found

The Academy was all around.

I thought for sure I’d lost my head

So to my room and into bed.

 

Robert Luongo

 

No comments: